Or, “If you could have ten bikes, what would they be? ” For Bobby B.
1. The Quickbeam in full commuter drag. Maybe with the S3X, or the Sachs Automatic, probably just fixed.
2. Bontrager mountain bike with drop bars. I love this bike.
3. The Gravel Roadster, but custom made to fit me. Ideally made by Rob English. Gears, 60mm tires, fenderable, ~20lbs. Right now I’m using the GR for 10 mile loops with the guys from work, and I enjoy the contrast with their bikes.
4. Matt Chester fixed gear. Hunter fork. I’ve loved his bikes ever since I saw one on Fixed Gear Gallery aeons ago.
5. Jones titanium spaceframe. Truss fork, shorty 6-speed cluster, H-bars. Every Jones mod available.
6. Rob English snow bike. Superlight, but giant tires. The Gravel Roadster x2. Basically, my idea is that a fatbike doesn’t need to be heavy-duty, because the massive tires insulate the bike from shocks.
7. Time Trial commute bike. For my 19 mi trip to work. In style. This would also be a Rob English bike, I think. Fenders, Hetres, lighting, and a Ruckus front box.
8. Cyclocross bike. A vanity racing bike, just for showing off. Legolas, Sachs, Speedvagen, or Ira Ryan. A pretty track bike would fill the same (nonexistent) void.
9. Custom Rivendell fixed gear offroad bike. A Quickbeam with more clearance. Threadless steerer, vertical dropouts. Gusset.
Not a single bike on this list has tires narrower than 33mm…